1) 'But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.'
'How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
'You must be,' said the Cat, 'or you wouldn't have come here.'
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
2) 'It also turns out that husbands do not read Grazia, and no matter how magnificent or loving they may be, they can't help themselves from sporadically saying '£225! For a purse! JESUS CHRIST,' as if you've just stabbed them quite violently in the balls with a fork, left the fork there, and then hung your coat on it while you go and have a bath.'
How to Be a Woman by Caitlin Moran
I must have read this passage a hundred times and, honest to God, it makes me laugh out loud each and every time.
3) 'She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain.'
Louisa May Alcott
Not from a book, but about them. I would embroider this on every item of clothing I own if I could, you know, embroider.
4) 'Dark light is not actually an oxymoron. It's the colour past ultra-violet. The technical term for it is infra-black. It can be seen quite easily under experimental conditions. To perform the experiment simply select a healthy brick wall, with a good runup, and, lowering your head, charge.
Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, one of my all time favourite books.
5) 'If you have enough space for books, I don't want to talk to you.'
Terry Pratchett. Seconded.
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
7) 'It's been my experience that you can nearly always enjoy things if you make up your mind firmly that you will.'
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
8) “You’re kind of a psycho. I get that.”
“I might be,” Monica agreed, and gave her a slow, strange smile. “You’re one smart little freak. Now run away, smart little freak, before I change my mind and stick you in one of these old suitcases for some architect to find a hundred years from now.”
Claire blinked. “Archaeologist.”
Monica’s eyes turned winter cold. “Oh, you’d better start running away now.”
Glass Houses (Morganville Vampire series #1) by Rachel Caine.
This makes me smile ruefully because it was pretty much me during school.
9) '"Ford... You're turning into a penguin. Stop it."'
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
This has to be in my top five favourite books. I could just lick it.
10) “You know, sometimes all you need is twenty seconds of insane courage. Just literally twenty seconds of just embarrassing bravery. And I promise you, something great will come of it.”
We Bought A Zoo by Benjamin Mee
What are your favourite book quotes?